Features of All Saints' Church Swanton Morley
Features of the Windows
The Window Tracery:
The tracery in the aisle windows is one of the finest features of the church. It is in a very early Perpendicular style and can, with reasonable confidence, be attributed to a master mason called Robert Wodehirst, who was trained in the royal workshops at Westminster Palace and Westminster Abbey, and who established a renowned school of East Anglian architecture. He is credited with rebuilding the clerestory at Norwich Cathedral in 1364-86 and was also master mason of the cloister there around this time.
There are distinct similarities between some of the windows that Wodehirst designed for the north flank of the presbytery and those at the east ends of both aisles at Swanton Morley. In fact those at Swanton Morley are actually somewhat more intricate. Here we see the window in the north aisle. Notice the very elaborate transom. The current best estimate is that they were designed in about 1370.
Sadly, All Saints’ Church lost all of its ancient stained glass long ago. The last recorded remains were those seen by the antiquary “Honest Tom” Martin during a visit that he made to the church on Christmas Day 1721, but these too have now disappeared. However, the church is fortunate in having three modern replacements in the chancel, for more details see the Features of the Chancel page.
The side windows in the aisles show a clear family resemblance, but here the window frames are square headed, which is unusual. The tracery at the west end is also of high quality, but of a slightly later design (see Tower). The chancel windows (not shown) were built a little later still and the tracery is much less ornate.
Page Updated: 26/07/10
All Saints' Church