The present organ is the third organ to be installed in the church.
The first one was installed in 1885 to replace the musicians in the gallery. It was very small and was soon found to be inadequate. It was replaced with an instrument from Norman & Beard of Norwich in February 1908. This was effectively a new instrument, but it had been in use for some nine months in another church as a stop gap while a larger instrument was being built. Thus All Saints was able to have it installed at the bargain price of £140 - some £40 less than the ex-works price.
This organ lasted until 1970 when it was replaced by another Norman & Beard organ. It was actually somewhat older (1887) than the one that it replaced, but it was larger and of superior performance. This organ was taken from the church of St Michael at Plea, Norwich, a church which is now redundant and is used as a craft centre.
Page Updated: 26/07/10
Features of All Saints' Church Swanton Morley
Features of the Windows
All Saints' Church