Features of All Saints' Church Swanton Morley
The current church is not the first on this site, for one was mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086. The present church was probably begun in about 1360. We know for certain that the church was in course of construction in 1379 because it was then that Sir William de Morley bequeathed the sum of ten marks (£6-13s-4d) and a gilt cup to the church.
It is a large church for a village and it was built to a very ambitious design. In particular the aisles of the nave extend to ‘embrace’ the tower, which is supported on three sides by massive arches. The effect of this is to give a large open space at the west end.
The stone tracery in the aisle windows, which is in a very early Perpendicular style, is particularly fine and is by Robert Wodehirst who was the master mason who rebuilt the presbytery clerestory at Norwich Cathedral after the spire collapsed in 1362.
All Saints Church has many interesting and unusal features, some of which are described on the following pages:
These features are best experienced however first hand, making All Saints an idea place to visit. For church open days see the Events page.
We would like to thank David Stone for allowing us to use his research on these pages.
Page Updated: 07/08/12
All Saints' Church